Idle Notes: FOX Announces ’13 MLB TV Schedule (Also: Comcast/NBC, Fox Sports 1)

1

For the second straight year, FOX will air eight straight weeks of primetime baseball coverage. In other news, Comcast plans to acquire a full stake in NBC Universal, and new channels Fox Sports 1 and Fox Sports 2 will reportedly be announced soon.

FOX Unveils 2013 MLB Schedule

  • The FOX broadcast network will air 24 Major League Baseball telecast windows during the 2013 regular season, the network announced Tuesday. The schedule includes eight straight weeks of baseball in primetime (May 25 to July 13), marking the second straight year the network has aired such an extensive primetime slate. FOX has adjusted the schedule to accommodate college football, going dark on August 31 — the first Saturday of the season — and airing games at 1 PM ET throughout September. 2013 is the final year of the current MLB TV deals; starting in 2014, FOX will air 12 telecast windows per year. (Fox Sports press release via Fang’s Bites)

Comcast to Acquire Full Ownership of NBC

  • Comcast, which currently owns a 51% majority stake in NBC Universal, will purchase General Electric’s remaining 49% stake in the media giant for $16.7 billion. The move is expected to be completed by the end of next month. Comcast officially assumed majority control of NBC Universal in 2011, a move that resulted in major changes to NBC Sports. (New York Times)

Fox Sports 1 to be Announced Next Month

  • News Corporation will officially announce new 24-hour cable sports channels Fox Sports 1 and Fox Sports 2 at an upfront presentation early next month, Reuters reported last week. The channels, currently Speed Channel and Fuel, are expected to launch in August. It has been nearly a year before rumblings first began that News Corp. would launch a general sports network. (Reuters)
Share.
  • ZabriskiePt

    This year there won’t be any Yankees vs. Mets, Dodgers or Cubs, any Cubs
    vs. Wite Sox and any Dodgers vs. Angels. This is the first result of
    the new balanced schedule and the consequent Interleague-everyday
    formula.
    I fear Fox won’t enjoy big TV ratings for its “Game of the
    week” package. It’s a pity: I think there are a number of reasons
    that’ll lead to a renewed interest in Baseball but TV partners should
    try to capitalize on MLB, covering the best stories: in a 24-week
    schedule it’s possible even avoiding to concentrate on the same two or
    three teams and giving every ballclub its share of visibility.